Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Lasts

Since I'm going to miss Sam's official last week of school, along with Crossover and awards and the 8th grade party, I decided to go ahead and get weepy this week. Seems a good use of emotional energy just now.

All week I've been alerting my family to all the lasts we're experiencing. They're enjoying it, I can tell.

Saturday - last Saturday night church service and dinner after as a threesome. Next time we head to Saturday night church at Southeast we'll have a six year old in tow. And we'll probably have to eat somewhere with a play place.

Sunday - last 8th grade Lift group for Sam. They'll shift over to high school groups on June 3rd. HIGH SCHOOL GROUPS! AAAAHHH! It was also my last Sunday as a 6th grade Lift leader, a milestone we recognized by eating donuts (Krispy Kreme - still warm).

Monday - last Monday morning of 8th grade. Sam's mood was definitely more grumpy than celebratory. My mood, consequently, was more annoyed than nostalgic. So, anyway, that's behind us now.

Monday was also the last CAL middle school softball game for Trent and for Sam (and for me, too, I suppose, herding the girls after school and keeping the book). Those two have put in a ton of time together on that field, growing the team from Sam's sixth grade year when half the girls had never played softball before but were conscripted so they could have a team to this year, currently in third place in the A division in a city that boasts nationally-ranked high school programs. I fully expected to bawl unashamedly after the game.

It was all rather anti-climactic. A huge storm hovered on the radar screen, grabbing everyone's attention (including mine). It finally struck after the second inning, delaying then calling the game and sending everyone home. Well, hunh. Sam did score on a Leah Jessee RBI, which seemed fitting since those two have been tag-teaming at the plate for three years now.

I know we'll soon be experiencing some amazing firsts - first 16 hour plane flight, first trip to Africa, first visit with our World Vision kids, first hug with Pacman, and first time being a mom/dad/big sister to an amazing six-year-old boy. I'm already anticipating the emotional impact of all of that. But right now, I'm going to cherish these final few lasts with my baby who is growing up so fast.

Eighth graders and team captains - Sam, Hannah, Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment