Sunday, April 29, 2012

Technology

I downloaded this cool app so I can blog about our trip from my iphone and maybe Sam's ipad. I'm not taking my laptop to Africa so will rely on these fun gadgets to communicate. So today's blog is just to see how it works. Pro - iphone much lighter than my laptop. (Although I'm coveting the macbook air.) Con - I am a terrible thumb typer. Like 20 wpm. Ugh!

I also downloaded a currency converter with South African Rand and Lesotho Loti conversions to US dollars. Pro - I can figure out how much stuff costs without invoking higher math skills. Con - I can figure out how much stuff costs.

My third cool download is a Sesotho language app. There aren't that many, suprisingly. This one has word practice, which serves as sort of a verbal/picture dictionary, which I think will be helpful. It also has games, so I can play Sesotho games while Pacman plays English games. Pro - correct pronunciation and pictures. Con - basic words and phrases only.

Finally, we downloaded a couple of movies for the ipad. Toy Story, Prince of Egypt and Go Diego. In retrospect, the latter may not be the wisest - adding Spanish to the language learning. But he'll be ready for Mexico Family Camp next year! Plus it was inexpensive. There IS a way to transfer the existing DVDs we have to itunes, but my Mac operating system needs to be upgraded first. And doesn't it seem easier just to buy the new Macbook air?

Thanks to Danielle and Barb who loaned us their electricity converters so we can keep the istuff charged.

Packing is going well and we had a great lunch with a Lesotho family today and we are experiencing lots of "last times" but I'll have to save those until tomorrow because my thumbs are tired!

Blessings,

Kristi


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment