Wednesday, April 25, 2012

No, I Have Not Packed

No, I have not packed yet. Yes, I know we are leaving a week from tomorrow (Thursday, May 3rd, 5:03 pm to be exact). Are there people out there who pack a week in advance? Like, really pack real clothes in a real suitcase? A week in advance? Who are you? What is your diagnosis? (I'm kidding.) (No, I'm not.)

I have THOUGHT about packing. And thinking about packing makes me feel really good about myself. Until someone asks, "Are you packed yet?" Implying real packing. Then I get super jittery. Or maybe it's just too much coffee.

But a real suitcase, with real clothes packed in it, for A WEEK? That would just freak me out. I'd have to pack and repack the suitcase 15 times, and then I'd start to forget what I really packed versus what I just thought about packing versus what I packed but then took out again. NOT A GOOD IDEA in my current mental state!

I will pack next week. Sometime. I promise. And then I will weigh our suitcases and realize they are all TOO HEAVY so I will take everything out and curse my first-world inefficiency and "Why am I taking a flat iron to Africa for goodness sakes?" and "How many clothes can I wear on the plane without alerting negative TSA attention?" and pack again.

But I did create a packing list. Because I like lists. Lists make me feel like I'm accomplishing something. Even if all I'm doing is checking facebook and writing inane blog posts about packing FOR AFRICA. WE ARE GOING TO AFRICA! TO BRING HOME A SIX-YEAR OLD BOY!

Even better than my packing list, my friend, Cathy, who is currently in Africa, will soon be packing to come home! WITH HER FIVE-YEAR-OLD BOY! The judge approved their adoption TODAY! We may very well cross in the air somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean. I can't wait to meet her Jonathan and for her to meet our Paul and for the two boys to become lifelong buds. Check out her blog for an amazing God-story that all started with her oldest son's obedience to God's tug to go on a mission trip.

So when YOUR child asks to go on a mission trip - say yes! And pack wisely!







No comments:

Post a Comment