Monday, May 7, 2012

Saturday - Ministry of Hope

Happy Derby Day everyone!

After a good night's sleep at the Baptist Guest House, which was a great deal at $35 US, we left for Lesotho at 9:30 am. I got a lesson in Afrikaaners by a store clerk at a pit stop who chatted with me, presuming I knew the language until it was obvious I did not! All I remember is Danke for thank you, but I only remember that because it sounds German.

The scenery at first reminded me of Indiana in late October (only warmer) with acres of corn ready to harvest, bales of hay dotting the fields, and cows grazing in the stubble. Fields of sunflowers reminded me of rows of women wrapped in shawls looking at the ground. Then hills appeared and finally the mountains of Lesotho! We saw ostrich, gazelle and zebra.

We arrived at the border crossing around 2:30. There was a long queue (South African word for line) so we walked across with Jessie while Frank stayed with the car. Sam was excited to get several stamps in her passport.

We're staying at Mohokare Chalet, which is a rondaval. Sam said, "We get to stay in a round house!" It's adorable. I expected to rough it a bit more, but it's well equipped with no bugs and lots of running water.

We were invited to the Dimmocks/Ministry of Hope for dinner. MoH supports single moms and also works with MIS, caring for children who need extra tlc. They had a houseful of 10 children. We played balloon volleyball and they giggled at their pictures on my iphone. M'e Manyana helped with Palamang's background check, so she knows him and was so pleased he'll have a family. She has a gentle spirit and a huge heart for the children. Also a delightful laugh! We'll meet Palamang on Monday. It's hard to wait, but also a blessing to acclimate and get to know the area and the people first.

Dinner was traditional Lesotho fare of papas (like thick grits), pumpkin, spinach and chicken. Delicious!

This morning I read Psalm 37. My verse yesterday was Psalm 37:4 - Delight in the Lord and He will give you the desire of your heart. This verse goes so far beyond God giving us whatever we want. It reaches into us knowing and loving God so much that He changes our hearts into wanting what He wants for us. This chapter also speaks to God's love and care for the righteous in the midst of evil times, which rings true with Ministry of Hope, where sick and abandoned children are loved and nursed back to health.

Pix of MoH children.



Blessings,

Kristi


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment