Saturday, May 12, 2012

Tuesday - our first full day

Palamang slept from 6:45 pm until 6:30 am. He was a tired little guy. Trent and I didn't sleep. All night. It was awful. To all of you who asked me if I had trouble sleeping when I was nervous, and I said, "No. I'm usually a great sleepet," apparently I lied. There were just too many thoughts and emotions running through my head, I guess.

But God gave us energy and to spare to get through the day. We're staying in a bed and breakfast, so we have a wonderful breakfast each morning cooked by Tsipo (spelling?). This morning, I asked Palamang if he wanted mahe - eggs. He gave a tiny little nod. Tsipo told him the menu in Sesotho. In the tiniest little voice Palamang said, "Mahe." That's about the only word he spoke all day. He gives tiny little nods or tiny little head shakes when we ask him a question. (Unless he completely doesn't understand, then he stares blankly.)

After breakfast I did some laundry in the tub. Yes, that's right. Trent is the laundry man at our house, but apparently he's only good for machine washing and drying. The hand stuff is all for me. He did rig up a cool clothesline in the bathroom. At this rate our clothes will be dry early next week.

We made our daily trek to the mall because Palamang desperately needed shoes. He picked out a pair of Ben 10 (cartoon character here - nod to Isaac) despite Trent's attempts to steer him toward the Vans. We grabbed a couple more supplies and got our 15 minute wifi fix, then walked home. Ask me later about the walk home adventure. Some day it will be funny.

After lunch Palamang fell asleep (on Sam's lap - see picture). Trent and Sam went back to the mall to Skype friends and family, while I tried to decide if Palamang was scared or depressed or just really, really quiet. (I know, not supposed to analyze until at least three months home, but I can't help it. I was ready to pull out some art therapy the poor child just looked so sad!) Turns out, what he needed was a nap and a few more TOYS. I pulled out a stash of cars from the closet, and he started playing and smiling and interacting. For several hours we all played cars and ball and Buzz Lightyear rocket ship launcher. We finally saw that smile from the pictures! Such a delight.

The Dimmocks stopped by (before heading back to Atlanta - I am SO SAD to see them go! They've been a HUGE blessing. I can't even tell you how thrilled I am we decided to come early - sans Palamang's passport - so we could meet up with them!) with Mamanyane from Ministry of Hope. She confirmed that Palamang is very quiet and reserved and mostly communicates with little nods. But I see a spark of playfulness there. I know with love and TLC he'll start to open up. He asked me to read a book (nonverbally) and later we all snuggled on the bed to watch Toy Story.

Now it's 8:00 pm and he's fast asleep. The sun goes down at 6:30, and nobody goes out after dark, so it's cozy family nights at the rondaval in the evenings.

Prayers for Frank and Jessie's safe drive back to Jo'burg flight back to Atlanta tomorrow. We'll miss you!

Many blessings,



Kristi, Trent, Sam and Paul


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment