Sunday, May 20, 2012

Saturday & Sunday

Paul was definitely testing boundaries Saturday! First he wanted to throw rocks in the fountain. Trent told him no. So he snuck around to the back of the fountain to grab more rocks. Trent said no, picked him and carried him away. Paul got his pouty face on, but then the taxi arrived (we did a little souvenir shopping) so he was distracted from the upset.

Sat afternoon he started banging the flashlight. I told him no, he looked at me and kept banging. (And I know he understands, little booger! No isn't a tough word to learn in any language!) I took the flashlight away and he got MAD. Trent and I worked together to stick to the boundaries and keep him from hurting himself or others. We have to teach him to trust that: 1) we love him no matter his behavior; 2) he can't use anger to control us or others; 3) it's ok to be mad but not OK to hurt.

He eventually calmed and cuddled. Every moment of love in the face of trauma and fear is one step closer to healing.

Sunday = Last day in Lesotho! We attended church and were blessed with the prayers of the pastors for our travel and safety and bonding. Paul wanted to try children's church with me staying, but after fifteen minutes wanted to find Daddy. So we let him listen to the ipod in church again. I know he looks like a sullen American teen with his headphones and sunglasses, but it seems calming. Pick your battles, you know?


Sunday is also my birthday! We're having lunch with Mahlapane and packing. Lots of political rallies today, so lots of noise and honking. Glad we're leaving before elections.

Last night for dinner at our little table with our shrimp forks.


Blessings to you! Kristi

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment