Saturday, December 21, 2013

Where's the Kaboom?

Interview Tips for Athletes Christians

One of the talking points in the recent Duck Dynasty brouhaha was whether the GQ interviewer "set up" Phil Robertson, whether he "baited" him to say something controversial.

OF COURSE HE DID! That's journalism 101, people! Maybe not so much explicitly stated in journalism school, but certainly understood by any successful cable news network - controversy sells, controversy skyrockets ratings. So long as you walk the fine line of not utterly offending your advertisers, the more drama the better.

It reminds me of a certain little brother, poking and prodding and pushing buttons until… KABOOM!


Professional athletes and coaches come to understand this (or get lambasted by the media). They learn how to talk to reporters. They learn what to say and not to say when interviewed by the press. Christians need similar training. Listen, Jesus's message of love, grace, forgiveness doesn't translate well in a ten-second soundbite. Love comes from relationship. The media doesn't do relationship. The media does divisiveness and partisanship. How can Christians manage the soundbite so they can get on to the important business of being like Jesus?

I looked to the world of sports to give believers some tips on how to respond to the hostile interview.

Q: Why are you so outspoken about your religious beliefs?
A: The best defense is a good offense. And defense wins championships.

Q: In your opinion, what is sin?
A: Well, sin is definitely a difficult opponent. They're not going to pull any punches. I have the utmost respect for them, but I'm trained and ready for the match-up.

Q: But specifically, what is sin? Do you consider (current controversial subject) sin?
A: You know, I just have to play my game, not get caught up in the situation, worrying what the opposition is going to do.

Q: So, what are you saying? Do you sin?
A: I prefer not to dwell on the past. It's a marathon, not a sprint, you know. It will come back to haunt you.

Q: Haunt you? In what way? Are you talking about Hell?
A: This game, it's all mental. I'm working to keep my focus on the goal, my eye on the prize.

Q: Focus on what? Are you talking about Heaven?
A: I just need to take it one game at a time. If I make it to the championship, I owe it all to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Q: So tell me about Jesus. Do you consider Him the only way to salvation?
A: Jesus and me, we're a team. And there's no I in team. He's managing this ball club, and I plan to follow His playbook every step of the way.

Jesus was no stranger to the hostile interviewer. His critics attempted to trap him on a number of occasions.

Q: This woman was caught in sin. The law says she be put to death. What do you say?
A: Let him without sin cast the first stone.

Q: What about taxation? What's your position on the current tax rate versus charitable giving?
A: Give the government what belongs to the government, and to God what belongs to God.

Q: Which ONE of the ten commandments is the greatest?
A: Love. Love God, love others.

If Christians want to be outspoken, then by all means be outspoken. But know that divisiveness, hurt and misunderstanding may follow in its wake. We'd do well to keep our soundbites short and our relationships long. Love God, love others.

No comments:

Post a Comment