Monday, December 16, 2013

Happy Birthday

Today is a day I thank God for your birth (SO!) many years ago. The circumstances were such that there might not have been a you had God not intervened. But God knew that this world needed a Trent - needed a son and a friend and a husband and a father just like you - and He was gracious in giving us exactly what we needed.

Today is a day that I thank your mom and your dad for pouring love and discipline and respect and a strong work ethic and a sense of humor into you. They were just what you needed to grow you into the man that God had in mind for you to become.

Today is a day that I thank God for crossing our paths, that He allowed the shy, skinny, (slightly) nerdy drama geek to connect with the popular, athletic baseball star. Thank you for walking beside me and growing with me, for listening and trying to understand and for always making me laugh when I want to fight.

Today is a day that I thank you for giving and sacrificing and laughing and loving. Thank you that you will spend your birthday refereeing our kids' dinner conversation and presiding over homework and administering Mr. Scratchy Beard instead of on the golf course or watching football. Thank you for teaching our children that the world is a bigger place than them, bigger than the east end of Louisville, and that they are kind enough and brave enough to make a difference in this big, brutal, beautiful world. Thank you for showing them everyday what it means to live with integrity.

Thank you for playing with your son in the snow
even though you hate all things cold.
Happy Birthday!


1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday to your husband! I just wanted to stop by and thank you for putting World Moms Blog on your blogroll!

    Jen :)

    ReplyDelete