Monday, August 13, 2012

Transformations

Dear random stranger at the zoo:

Yes, I know he is looks too big to be carried. No, I do not want your inane parenting advice to: Just put him down and walk away. Since you seem to care more about hearing yourself speak than trying to understand why he might need a bit of reassurance from me (when it's fairly obvious we aren't a typical mother-son combo), then I won't dignify your statement with an explanation of why just putting him down and walking away could completely traumatize him! Because no, he may not follow me. And yes, I'd rather have all 50 pounds of him in my arms and loved than off by himself, alone and scared. As Paul would say, "Ser-usly!"

Mostly I didn't even care about random stranger at the zoo, so excited was I that my son, who went into catatonic-anxiety-shut-down mode the last time we visited the zoo, was in my arms and eager to feed the lorikeets. "Waddis nectar? Juice? Why? Paul drink 'em? Why no?"
Look, Mom! No hands! Riding a lion!
When Sam was in second grade, we inherited some tadpoles from the pond store. (Yes, I know I just completely changed the subject. But it relates. At least, I think it relates - I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.) She decided to chart their metamorphosis for her second-grade science fair project. She set up an aquarium complete with stepping stone rocks, researched what to feed them, took pictures of the process, documented when and how they changed, and made clay models of each step of the transformation. (She totally should have won, IMHO. Her project was CLEARLY the best.)

The tadpole-into-frog transformation is fun to watch. It's not like, say, a panda which starts as a very, very small panda then grows into a very, very big panda. Tadpoles start as fish-looking creatures and utterly transform into frog-looking creatures. First their gill structure begins to change; then they grow back legs; then sometime later they grow front legs; then their tail, well, I'm still not sure what happens to their tail exactly, disappears? shrinks?; then they hop onto dry land and start croaking at 3 a.m.

They have these hilarious moments of utter awkwardness, when they aren't really one thing or the other, with tiny back legs and a super long tail and a weird wobbly head. (A bit like middle school students.)

Sam chose a scripture verse for the project. (This was a science fair project for a Christian school. Which one would THINK would eliminate the Daddy-made-this-alternative-fuel-cell-in-his-university-laboratory-for-me-so-I-can-win science fair project. One would think.) Her scripture was 2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come. The judge stated  that this scripture didn't entirely fit the project. He argued (not that I was arguing back. Sheesh. It wasn't MY science fair project. It's just that he was clearly WRONG and needed enlightening) that when a person decides to follow Christ, he changes completely and immediately, while the tadpoles transformed into frogs over time.

Okay, ya'll, I've been a Christian counselor for a LONG time. And I've seen, up close and personal, that while turning one's life over to Christ immediately imparts the power of the Holy Spirit to effect change, the actual transformation into Christ-likeness can be long and awkward and cause one to feel like he has the wrong gill structure and too-tiny-legs and a too-long-tail. Transformation takes time.

I've thought about those tadpoles this summer with Paul. When we first met him he was so scared - he didn't know us, he didn't trust us, this new world in which he found himself was completely baffling and foreign. His first trip to the zoo we left after ten minutes because he was so overwhelmed. His first venture into a classroom of kids he literally climbed my head in terror to escape.

But it seems his gill structure is starting to change. He's starting to breath in those feelings of trust in our love and security that we'll be there for him. Last week he walked happily into YMCA daycamp every morning and stayed all day. Saturday he explored every inch of the zoo, sometimes in my arms, and sometimes skipping happily by my side.

And then came Monday. Back-to-school day did not go well, which was mostly totally my fault. Issues cropped up that I hadn't even considered. And for some reason the fact that I was mostly totally to blame for his meltdown made it all the more frustrating. It was hard to see all the other froglets sitting in their seats and coloring their pages and wondering why he's crying and clinging, still struggling with too-tiny-legs and a too-long-tail.

Because random stranger at the zoo and clearly wrong science fair judge and mommy who sometimes often struggles to understand his hurts - transformation takes time.
Channeling his inner tiger.

No comments:

Post a Comment