Monday, June 25, 2012

Stuff I Like

I have a love-hate relationship with stuff. We have SO MUCH stuff in America. I hate that we rely so deeply on so much stuff. Anytime I go on a mission trip or serve in an impoverished area I am convicted about the amount of stuff I "need" because, after living and working with very little it is clear that I could, and many others do, live and work with very little. Then I'm convicted to simplify and give away and stop, Stop, STOP buying so much STUFF. There are a million ways the $30.00 I'm tempted to spend on a hose-wrapper-upper (which I only want because I'm too lazy to coil the hose around the fence) could benefit those in desperate need.

On the other hand, there are a few things that make life much, much easier with a newly home six-year-old. For what it's worth, here's my list of stuff I like.
  • Iphone (or, as Paul calls it, "Maphone," not to be confused with "Paul's maphone," which is actually Sam's old cell phone and now only works to take pictures.) I think it's funny that my iphone is at the top of my list because for years I was a reluctant cell phone user. I often forgot my phone,which didn't really bother me because, honestly, I preferred not to be too easily accessible. I only wanted an iphone because I could, in theory, sync my computer calendar with the phone calendar and, again theoretically, have an updated calendar if, in fact, someone actually entered the events into one of those calendars. But despite the fact that the iphone doesn't magically enter appointments into the calendar for me, I LOVE IT! The pictures feature is a great way to take in-the-moment pictures and videos of Paul, for Paul to review his life history thus far, and is his preferred way of interacting with those outside the family. I keep several rotating videos on the phone for high-anxiety events as well as for we-must-wait events, like Sam's softball games. (He's learning English from Imagination Movers. "Sorry, guys." "Thanks, guys." "'S'okay, Pants!") We also have some English games. Those don't have the same draw as Imagination Movers or Fruit Ninja, but are helpful all the same. I can also use the iphone to text Trent important messages like, "WHEN ARE YOU COMING HOME!!!???" I forgot my phone for the first time in six weeks last Wednesday evening, and thought I was going to have a panic attack.
  • Music. Paul has his own playlists, which are quite eclectic, ranging from Basotho music to toddler songs (he's remembering the ABC song and "Happy and You Know It" that Shelley taught him) to Contemporary Christian to R&B. He loves the song "Courageous" by Casting Crowns, which is a powerful anthem for his life as he has been and will continue to need to be courageous to cope with the grief and trauma in his young life. I'm angling Trent for a speaker system for the iphone (one with volume lock ☺) and also headphones with volume lock. 
Paul dancing to the music while he's supposed to be eating lunch.
It's a positive sign that hunger is no longer a factor when music takes priority over food.
  • Our 10' diameter pool (Wal-Mart), which can comfortably hold a slide (Toys 'R Us), four children, an adult and a teen or two. The pool is a great place for a playdate because it is contained in a small space and allows for interaction without any talking required. Sam or I generally play in the pool with him, but he's also happy to jump and bounce around by himself as long as I'm watching closely and oohing and aahing at all his tricks.
  • Punching bag (freebie from neighbors when Sam was taking karate). Paul loves to pummel the bag - it can take it! This seems to expend positive energy and leaves him calmer and more settled.
  • Swing (Lowe's). Safety mat, which apparently needs to be thicker (also Lowe's). I'm a big fan of physical motion to enhance coping skills and increase those "feel good" endorphins in the brain. Paul apparently is too!

  • Lest you think we're all play and no work, Paul also likes to pretend school with the Melissa and Doug's mini white board/chalk board (Parent Teacher Store). He's doing great with shapes and drawing pictures and writing his name. Still working on numbers and letters.

  • Time Timer (Amazon.com, which I also love now that we're avoiding the trauma of Wal-Mart). Paul was having trouble figuring out time. "Five minutes" seemed to mean anything from right now - "Mama, ja (eat) five minutes" - to all night long - "Mama, sleep Paul's room five minutes." We use this at school to give kids visual cues as to how much time remains to complete a particular task. This also works well to show Paul how much time left until Daddy comes home, until we get to go on a bike ride, until he is finished with learning time, until quiet time is over, etc.

  • Bike aka motorcycle (garage sale) the most favorite item ever! Paul goes for a spin several times a day. Another great way to get out of the house, get some exercise, and potentially play with friends.
Paul on a bike play date with new friend Jonathan.

No comments:

Post a Comment