Friday, December 16, 2011

Quirky

After several days weeks of angst and paranoia and pre-adoptive parent induced psychosis (it's a real diagnosis, trust me), and after reassurance and prayer from those who have gone before (THANK YOU), I decided I was done with the pity-party. DONE, I tell you. I wanted to MOVE ON. And then who should post the funniest, laugh-out-loud blog ever in the history of the world but adoptive mom/writer/speaker Jen Hatmaker.

Quirky by Jen Hatmaker. You must read it. But be warned - you may pee your pants from laughing so hard, especially if you scroll through the comments, too. Who knew there were so many crazy quirky people in the world! Outside my own family, I mean.



My quirks I come by genetically. The fact that I cannot, CANNOT, turn the correct direction after leaving a store/hotel room/building I attribute directly to my mom. Our internal compass must have been installed upside down. But the worst thing is that I KNOW I'm directionally challenged, so I try to second-guess (and third-guess and forth-guess) myself, which often results in a little dance. This way, no, I always guess wrong so twist and turn, this way, no, that can't be right, twist and turn and cha cha cha. Makes my husband crazy.

Bursting into song, and then making up my own words to said song and sometimes changing the tune entirely from its creator's intention - my dad's fault. "Two Frogs and a Goat" was considered classic musicality when I was growing up. Never heard of it? I'm happy to sing it for you. At random and inopportune moments.

Sam cannot bear to be almost touched. That's right - almost touched. You can poke her, punch her (careful, not hard, she'll punch back), wrestle her, tickle her and she's fine. But hover your finger just a few inches over her bare skin and she freaks. Makes her crazy. (Useful information for all would-be sibling tormentors. You are welcome).

Trent...um, he said I can't go there. But it has to do with styrofoam. And the sound it makes rubbing against cardboard. He's cringing just thinking about it.

What does this have to do with our adoption journey? I don't know. I just needed to laugh. And it's fun to think about our quirks and where they come from. Mine are genetic. Sam's not so much. (Almost-touch me or Trent all you want. We don't care.) I'm eager to get to know Pac-man, to embrace his personality, to learn about his quirks. Cuz we all got em. Some are just more...interesting...than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment