Monday, April 25, 2011

There's a Click!

So I decided I wanted to learn the Sotho language. I'm not sure why I thought this would be successful considering I still struggle to carry on an intelligible conversation in Spanish, but nevertheless I bought the (only) Sotho language CD. Thus far I've learned biri (beer), kofi (coffee) and leqele (left). The ease in memorizing the first two is self-explanatory. The last word is implanted in my brain not because I'm directionally challenged (I am), but because in Sotho, Q is a CLICK!

This is so cool. Left is pronounced le-click-ele. How fun is that! My ADD took over and I googled languages with clicks. (Quite a few, especially in southern Africa.) Apparently I'm not the only one who finds clicks fascinating. Russell Peters has a YouTube video about it...



The LORD said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.  Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.” Genesis 11:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment