Monday, September 16, 2013

Best Effort

So, my first grader has been getting warnings and calendar marks for talking too much at school. Did you hear that? He has been TALKING. At SCHOOL! To PEOPLE!

Do you remember last year when he communicated only in barely perceptible head nods and shakes? When he wouldn't talk above a whisper? English and school and life was just too overwhelming for the spoken word.

And now he's talking TOO MUCH?

Hoorah! Hoorah! Happy dance. Whoot, whoot, holla', holla'!

I mean... sorry teachers... what I mean is... Dude, I'm so glad you're talking. I'm thrilled you have a burning curiosity about the world. I'm ecstatic you have the words to ask ALL THE QUESTIONS. I'm moved to tears that you now feel safe enough to talk ALL OF THE TIME to LOTS OF PEOPLE.

But now my curious, excited, safe seven-year-old we need to learn how to be quiet and listen when it's time to be quiet and listen.

This takes some effort, people. We have a year's worth of pent up questions and conversation. Questions and conversations that sometimes go like this:
P:  "Mom, 'member dat one boy?"
Me: ?
P: "You know! Dat one boy from de place!"
Me: ?
P: "Mom! Dat boy! I played with him! You 'member!"
Me: No idea, but trying to avoid a meltdown. "Um, sure. Okay."
P: "Why he do dat one thing? Why?"

So we've been practicing our "be quiet and listen." A lot. This is the kind of practice I really, really enjoy. For five minutes while I read/tell this story, keep all questions, comments, rememberings and tangential remarks to yourself. After the story you may raise your hand and ask away.

This is harder than I realized for certain seven year old boys. But practice makes you better, right? So we're gonna keep on practicing.

On Friday after school Paul bounced into the car, bubbling over with excitement. "Look! Look! Look at my calendar!" He pulled his folder out of his backpack and thrust it all me as I'm trying to pull out of the carpool circle.

(Side note - Did you know that driving with a child in the car is one of the leading causes of driver-distraction car crashes, according to the American Automobile Association. Someone should pass a law. Seriously.)



Best effort! Talking AND listening. It's been a milestone week!

No comments:

Post a Comment