Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Back to Life

Sam's flight landed at 4:45 pm, right on time, after a three hour layover/customs in Detroit. Kind of brings you back to things, doesn't it, a three-hour welcome-back-to-America in Detroit. The Delta folks, while considerate and trying to be helpful, wouldn't give us a pass to meet her at the gate. Since she's 15, she wasn't technically flying as an unaccompanied minor. Teens who are 15 to 18 are offered the option to fly UM, with a $100 one-way fee, but if you deem your teen mature enough and confident enough to manage the complexities of international travel (we do) then she can fly as an adult. (*This is a bit misleading. Since Sam and her BFF were flying with BFF's little brother and sister, the littles HAD to fly as UMs. And as Sam and BFF had to stay with the littles at all times, then they reaped the benefits of the flight attendant ushering them through customs and ensuring they made their connection.) So we saved the $100 fee, but couldn't get the pass to meet her at the gate, since she was, by their reckoning, an adult. And also because BFF's mom was already meeting them at the gate.

So Paul and I waited just on the edge of security, which allowed Paul to "What if" everything that could happen if the uniformed officer had to use his gun or what if someone stole his gun or what if someone tried to sneak past the officer WITH a gun or what if someone tried to sneak past with scissors and what if they were running with scissors and what if I asked the officer if Paul could touch his gun? "No, I'm not asking if you can touch the gun. You're not allowed to touch the gun." Paul studied me resolutely. "I's going to be a police when I get big. Then I can have my owns gun. An' touch 'em."

Then she was there! In Louisville! Bright eyed and no less rumpled for having been traveling for the last 13 hours. We grabbed bags and found the car and arranged seats (Paul was desperate for Sam to sit by him. "I's excited Sam's home!")

It was a marvelously normal dinner with everyone around the table chatting and arguing and vying for the last sausage. Sam was starving. Part of traveling with UMs means you "get" to hang out in the Delta Skyzone room, where they have complimentary chips and water, but no access to the Detroit airport fast food offerings. She wanted brats on the grill, mashed potatoes and green beans. I assured her that I had just assembled TWENTY freezer meals, ranging from chicken pesto to chipotle steak, but she wanted brats. Apparently this is her quintessential American meal. (Although aren't brats German? Confusing.) Topped off with red velvet cheesecake which her dad so graciously saved from our date night on Saturday. Then we looked at pictures and opened presents and settled in to watch one of her fifty-plus DVR'ed episodes of NCIS. And when it was time for bed she hung out in our room, braiding her hair and watching TV and chatting and generally keeping us awake. All of which I'd missed so much.

Today it's back to life. Trent took Paul to the Y because I had an 8 am doctor's appointment. (I realized three weeks ago that I should take care of all my appointments during those rare summer days when Paul is at camp, but three weeks obviously wasn't enough leeway for the various doctors and dentists to schedule me in on one of those rare summer days. Ah, well. That's what sick days are for, right?) Then I swung by home to get Sam (who woke up, rather annoyed, at 7 am because she's still on her late night/sleep in mornings German time. I hope she stays on this time forever and ever.) She has back-to-school day at 10:30, work in my office, school shopping, then softball practice at 4:00, immediately after which she is working as a greeter at a friend's State Farm tent for a neighborhood festival until 9:00.

Trent and I suddenly remember what it's like to arrange her chauffer schedule while also ensuring that Paul gets picked up from the Y at 4:00 and fed and to his practice by 6:00.

Back to life. And I'm loving it! Welcome home, best girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment